Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mayor Nutter Picture


I had about 15 miniutes to shoot some pictures of Mayor Michael Nutter in his office (mayor of Philadelphia), amd in those 15 miniutes he was also supposed to give his interview over the phone to the editor of the magazine who was doing the story on him. I was intially worried and nervous that how will i get a good picture of him. prior to this assignment i had not shot with a politician, i am more into models and musicians and actors celebs from the entertainment world, I also have a lot of respect for him and the work he is doing in philly. His staff called me in and said do it quickly you will have to hurry mayor only has about 10 miniutes for this shoot, i was carrying 2 strobe lights with soft boxes and umbrellas, stands.
 and to add to the pot my assistant called out, thank God for my wife that she voluntered to be my assistant that day. we had already set up the soft boxes put the lights on the stands while waiting in his lobby. I met the mayor shook hands and immediately the crunch started, i right away spotted a flag so what i did was focused one light on the flag and the key light to camera right. I kept the back light on the flag about half stop under to the key light and then started shooting in my usual way i started directing the mayor to look down ,right, left, foot forward, shift your body weight and what not at that time he was a just another model in front of me. right away i spotted a beautiful couch behind me i asked the mayor to sit on it and moved  my light to camera left  and just used one light this time, i wanted to create a rembrant style of  lighting and portrait  and i succeded to create the right exposure and temprature,  shot about 5 frames and i knew i got my picture. all this was done in about 8 miniutes. the funny thing is when i gifted the picture to the mayor he said oh you are the one who was moving me too much...oops.. the end reuslt is that he loved the image and propsed it to be used on the billboards all across philadelphia for the cencus campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment